Sunday, January 11, 2009

the one with the eraserheads reunion cd

It was approximately two years ago when I met "VALIUM" at http://www.bangag.com/. She and I made great conversations. I was so interested in her first post at bangag. It was about her favorite band and favorite song. Eraserheads is the band. Huwag Kang Matakot is the song.

Valium became a reminder to me. Her thoughts became a shadowing reminder of how I was introduced to Ely, Raymund, Marcus and Buddy - the Eraserheads.

I was a kid, barely thirteen years old, walking up to the gates of St. Paul's University in Dumaguete. My only concerns that time were playing and taking good care of my G.I. Joe collection, especially Mercer and Muskat. On one regular school day, I went home by myself on a ride in a pedicab. Arrived home, and did my homework so I could watch Alaska's Johnny A, Jolas and Bong Hawkins later that night. Mama arrived early that night at around six and traditionally, I kissed her hands.

She and Papa were talking intently at the dining area. I wondered why. Then both of them approached me and said to me, "We have a gift for you." Like Santa's favorite kid, I was really excited. I opened the package that they handed to me. It contained Ultraelectomagneticjam, Circus and Cutterpillow. At least those were the words that I read. All album titles of Eraserheads. I wasn't the very delighted kid when I found out what the gift was.

I went to my room, opened the first tape and listened...

After fourteen years and continuing, I haven't stopped listening to the Eraserheads. The band that caused the surge for me to shift from the kid I was to the man I am. Much thanks are in order to mama and papa. The coolest ones that a kid could ever have.

I once made a bold comment almost two years ago at one of Valium's post in Bangag. I reckoned, this decade will never be complete without an Eraserheads Reunion Concert. I wasn't wrong. And though I wasn't there to witness them play their hearts out live again, the thought of knowing that my bold statement came to reality was more than enough.

Thanks to Orick for bringing me the Reunion Concert CD. Priceless. Priceless. Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment